Wednesday 28 November 2007

Who Do You Think You Are?


Last week, one night after work a bunch of us went to the pub (a regular occurrence any day of the week for us really!), but not just some random pub; the same pub we’ve been going to for the last year or so. We’ve never had a problem and even though most days we don’t get a seat we seem to always have a great time (who needs chairs anyway!). But on this particular night something I’ve heard about but have never witnessed happened to me. Someone stole my handbag from right under my seat!! I’ve never felt so violated and helpless in all my life. I’m not a very clumsy person, forgetful maybe but I always take care of what I own and rarely ever lose anything. A sudden rush of panic filled me as I went to buy a round of drinks and couldn’t find my bag – what the f%*k! Okay who took the bag haha funny, now give it back…..when no one fessed up I had to come to grips with the fact that it had been stolen!

After a quick look around the bar and outside it was clear whoever took it was a pro and left no trace of their whereabouts. Questions started to fester – How could this happen to me? How did (s)he take it without anyone seeing? Why me? Since my questions were leading me nowhere I had to take action. Between all my friends we were able to call and cancel and re-order most of my cards. And thankfully someone had an extra travel card and cash so I could get home! If I didn’t have my cell phone out (I was waiting for a call) I wouldn’t have been able to call my boyfriend to meet me at the flat so I could get in! I never realized before how much of my life I actually carried around with me on a daily basis, and come to think of it I couldn’t do without most of them….

Among other things, here is a comprehensive list of what was stolen, in one swift second:

  • Lululemon Purse (it was gorgeous…black w/ white pokkadots)
  • iPod (less than a year old)
  • Wallet filled with numerous cards – took a full day to call all of them
  • ‘The Wars’ novel
  • Umbrella (forgot to replace this right away and was drenched on Monday morning!)
  • Make-up - All my favourite stuff including brushes and a really cool lip gloss from Japan (sorry Dianna….oh, oh maybe you could get me a new one?)
  • Fake Chanel sunglasses from Italy (what? As if I could afford the real thing!)
  • House and Work Keys
  • Bills (does that mean I don’t have to pay them?)

And, drum-roll please….

  • Dirty Gym clothes – take that crackhead!


I’d like to dedicate the below to the crackhead who stole my handbag:

Who do you think you are? I work damn hard for everything I own…I take careful consideration when making my purchases and taking care of my belongings. How dare you take what is not yours! I hope you were able to sell my belongings to fuel your habit a bit longer and are happy with yourself b/c you’ve just inconvenienced me and put me in debt (when I was doing just fine!) trying to replace what you stole so to know that it was all in vain would be a massive shame.

Word to the wise: Get an over-the-shoulder handbag (it’s my new plan!)

No comments: