Friday 11 January 2008

The Best of 2007

I realize that we’re well into the new year but please cut me some slack I’ve been on holiday for a while – in the mother land of Canada celebrating the jolly season with missed friends and family, and I only just returned. That being said here’s a list of things that rocked my world in 2007. Let me know what you think – agree, disagree?!

MOVIES

This took a lot of work to narrow down (I was disappointed to see some go) but alas in no particular order, here are the movies that entertained, challenged and made me think…..

Atonement
Into The Wild
Juno
The Darjeeling Limited

Paris
Je T’ame
300
3:10 to Yuma
Knocked Up
Bourne Ultimatum
Goodbye Bafana

Ones that didn’t make the list but made an impact (or I watched in 2007 but were released earlier)
The Lives of Others
Half Nelson
Volver
Sicko
Transformers
Hairspray


MUSIC
Albums that have made the journey into work a little more enjoyable/bearable below. Once again, in no particular order:

Okkervil River – The Stage Names
M.I.A. - Kala
The Tough Alliance – New Chance
Band of Horses – Cease To Begin
Feist – The Reminder
Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga
Vampire Weekend
Of Montreal -Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Justice -

Arcade
Fire – Neon Bible
Iron and Wine – The Shepard’s Dog

Tokyo
Police Club - Smith

Ones that I only just got into but didn’t get enough play time during the year:
The National – Boxer
Bat For Lashes – Fur and Gold
Andrew Bird – Armchair Apocrypha


BOOKS

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
An Interpretation of Murder - Jed Rubenfeld
Into The Wild - Jon Krakauer
Outlander – Diana Gabalon
Norwegian Wood – Haruki Murakami
In Cold Blood – Turman Capote
Then We Came to the End – Joshua Ferris
We Need to Talk About Kevin – Lionel Shriver

I know most of these weren’t released in 2007 but that’s when I read (and loved) them.


I
’m looking forward to what 2008 has in store (optimistic tone) Happy New Year Everyone!!

No comments: