Tuesday 21 August 2007

1 Year…Say What?


It’s exactly one year ago today that I traveled across the Atlantic from the comfort of my own home in Canada to start a new adventure/life in the UK. I can hardly believe that this time last year I was exploring my new neighborhood and preparing for my first day at work. I can still remember how petrified I was of the tube – all the people rushing past me, the HUGE escalators and no announcements (how was I going to know when my stop was?). Now I’m the one pushing past tourists, walking up the escalators and knowing exactly where I'm going!

In light of this occasion I'd like to introuduce some of the (many) corky language differences that I love and now use:

Canadian - UK

Diaper - Nappy
Runners/Running Shoes - Trainers
Trunk (of car) - Boot
Sidewalk - Pavement
Elevator - Lift
Movie - Film
Zucchini - Courgette
Backpack - Rucksack
Crosswalk - Pedestrian crossing (types: pelican crossing; zebra crossing)
Potato chips - Crisps
Nice/enjoyable - Lovely
Very good - Brilliant / "brill"
bangs (hair) - Fringe
Fries - Chips
English Muffin - Muffin
Muffin - Muffin (very confusing!)

speak to you soon mate

No comments: