Wednesday 1 August 2007

Health Push


I remember when I was younger my mom calling ‘don’t forget to take your vitamins’ as my sister and I got ready for school; as she knew we didn’t like the Flintstone Vitamins that we had (who didn’t have these!) and if not reminded we wouldn’t take them -‘but you didn’t remind me mom...I didn’t know we were meant to take them everyday!’ - Whether it was an abundance of orange ones (that we didn’t like) and not enough purple ones, who can say, we just refused to take them regularly. Now, if you know me personally you know I have issues with vitamins…every time I decide to take them, I get sick. Now this could just be a funny coincidence (but I highly doubt it) or this could be…..Now, Now let’s not jump the gun on theories as that’s not what this post is all about. What I’m trying to get at is, it seems more and more food and drink products are popping up with enhanced vitamins, minerals or supplements…..And Coke is quick on the ball to react to consumers’ needs….

It started off with likely candidates such as eggs, butter and bread that were given the boost but now everywhere I look there’s an advertisement for a new ‘enhanced healthy’ version of some food/drink I once consumed. Take for instance the new Diet Coke Plus which contains ‘vitamins B3, B12 and C which helps maintain a healthy immune system.’ In it’s North American PR release a senior member of the brand was quoted saying they ‘wanted to offer (consumers) the convenience of a calorie-free beverage that is a good source of several essential vitamins and minerals, and one that delivers on the great taste that they have come to expect from us’. My take on this…everyone is starting to think about their health more and more and Coke want a piece of the market!!

Everything is spiraling out-of-control!!! It seems most companies are trying to jump on the ‘healthy’ band-wagon promoting they’re product's healthy benefits or enhancing them to be healthy…which is fair enough, we all want to live healthy, long lives…and it seems like we have less and less time to do so….but something must be said about getting your vitamins naturally – eating your fruits and vegetables, you know the old fashioned way!!

Cheers to our health!

Info regarding the recommended daily intake of vitamins, minerals and supplements here

No comments: